Tuesday 28 July 2009

Rare FX Pedal: Able Bassmaker by John Rogers

I often use an Able Bassmaker in my set-up. They were made by John Rogers who was based in Pwllheli (Gwynedd), in Wales, UK. I phoned him up one day, long after he stopped production, and he very kindly made me a one-off. I now read that pedal cannot be purchased anymore which is a shame as it is a unique (and perhaps 'quirky') pedal.



The bassmaker acts as an intelligent octaver. A filtering process allows the octaver section to kick in on the lowest notes. However, how it does this I'm not so sure. There is an op-amp on the board, but I believe the easiest way to filter the bass-end is to couple a resistor and potentiometer (not unlike the tone control in an electric guitar). As standard analog octavers process monophonically ( e.g., such as the Boss OC-2/OC-3), the filtered signal cuts out some of the frequencies that confuse the pedal when playing polyphonically. The bassmaker does get confused but it is just hidden better; this adds to my hunch that the filtering process is achieved via the potentiometer itself (the other pot serves as gain of the octave section only)and not via the circuitry.

I hereby invite comments, especially if there is anything technical to add concerning the electronic workings of the Bassmaker. Moreover, he made a strings/synth pedal for guitar; do you remember the name of this?

Meanwhile you can view videos of me using the bassmaker at the following locations:

http://www.youtube.com/daleharrisguitar
http://www.youtube.com/user/musicianshive
http://www.youtube.com/user/europalivemusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/b4udr

3 comments:

pete said...

Hi, I'm interested in the bassmaker pedal. How does it deal with electric lead guitar playing? Does it offer a similar bass to a rhythm guitar? How can I contact the originator? I can't find any examples of the bassmaker being played on your pages, can you specify where I can find any examples? Are there similar gizmos on the market?

Many thanks

Pete

pete said...

Hi, I'm interested in the bassmaker pedal. How does it deal with electric lead guitar playing? Does it offer a similar bass to a rhythm guitar? How can I contact the originator? I can't find any examples of the bassmaker being played on your pages, can you specify where I can find any examples? Are there similar gizmos on the market?

Many thanks

Pete

Dale Harris said...

Pete, the bassmaker will act as an octaver in lead playing. In rhythm guitar it acts with the bass line you play. So, if you're 'strummer', it probably won't do you any good as bass players more often than not do not 'strum' using rhythms and texture like a guitar. My videos have the bassmaker in most tracks (albeit at times quite subtle - are you using sub-bass enhancement on your speakers?) but I don't use it when I'm playing pure classical. So listen out for it when I'm playing electric guitar (6 or 12 string) or using the Godin electric classical.
Here are two examples where I'm sure it was being used in a less-subtle setting:

http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=-5ZlRp8t73A

http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=i8y73cy8yhU

It adds a depth that is not always obvious until I'm followed by another guitarist; then a 'hole' in the low range appears!
All the best, Dale